ALUN FRANCIS has conducted more than 200 orchestras and opera ensembles in more than 30 different countries in the last 40 years.
He appears regularly in the music capitals of Europe - Amsterdam, Berlin, London and Milan.
- 1966 - 1976 Chief Conductor and Artistic Director of Ulster Orchestra and Northern Ireland Opera Trust
- 1976 - 1978 Chief Conductor and Artistic Director of the Iranian National Opera in Teheran
- 1978 - 1984 Music Director of the NEPAC Opera in Durban
- 1979 - 1985 Music Director of the Northwest Chamber Orchestra in Seattle, USA
- 1985 - 1988 Chief Conductor and Artistic Advisor of the Opera Forum in The Netherland
- 1987 - 1991 Principal Conductor and General Music Director of ‘Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie’
- 1990 - 1994 Principal Conductor of the Haydn Orchestra Bolzano/Trento in Italy
- 1989 - 1996 Chief Conductor of the Berliner Symphoniker
- 1996 - 1999 Principal Conductor and Artistic Director of the Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano ‘Giuseppe Verdi’
- 2002 - 2004 Permanent Guest Conductor, Zagreb Philharmonic Orchestra
- 2003 - 2008 Chief Conductor of the Thuringia Philharmonic
- Since 2008 Chief Conductor and Artistic Director of the ‘Orquesta Filarm�nica de la OFUNAM’Orquest Filarmonica de la UNAM / Mexico City.
Alun Francis regulary conducts concerts and Compact-Disc recordings with the Italian
Radio Orchestra (RAI) Turin, the Cologne Rundfunk-Sinfonie Orchester, the Deutsches
Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Frankfurter-Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester, Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR)
Hannover, the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Saarbrücken, the Radio Sinfonie Orchester Basel, the
Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, Swedish National Radio Orchestra, the Rotterdam Philharmonic,
the Rundfunk Sinfonie Orchester, Berlin, the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz, and the SWR
Rundfunkorchester, Kaiserslautern. In January 2000 Alun Francis won the first Prize of the
'CANNES CLASSICAL AWARDS' presented at MIDEM 2000 in the category of CD Premiers, for his
recordings of the complete symphonies of Darius Milhaud. His recordings with the London Symphony
Orchestra, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, the Philharmonia Ochestra, the English Chamber
Orchestra and the London Mozart Players have won much critical acclaim, including the
LONDON SUNDAY TIMES, 'Best Classical Recording of 1983'. Mr. Francis has conducted all the major
orchestras in Great Britain - the BBC Orchestras, the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra,
the Scottish National Orchestra, the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and the Halle Orchestra.
Highly regarded as a conductor of Bel Canto opera, Alun Francis was invited to direct the world
premiere of DONIZETTI'S Gabriella di Vergy in London in 1978. At the Bavarian State Opera in
Munich, Alun Francis directed Rigoletto in a Roman Polanski production. His Opera repertoire
includes over 70 different operas. Apart from his classical repertoire, Alun Francis is a
noted specialist in 20th. century music, with a repertoire which ranges from Berio and
Stockhausen to a sizesble number of world premiers. As a composer, Alun Francis has written
works for concert hall, theatre and films, which are published in London and New York.